Gas Liquids Engineering Ltd. (GLE) is currently providing engineering services for ATCO to install a hydrogen blending project in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. Hydrogen is blended at 5% into the natural gas supply for 2000 homes starting in October 2022 as part of a carbon footprint reduction initiative.
Initially hydrogen is trucked in, and fed into the existing natural gas distribution system. In March 2023, a 1 MW electrolyzer package will be installed on site, and trucking in hydrogen will no longer be necessary. 18kg/hr of hydrogen will be produced by the electrolyzer package, and blended into a natural gas distribution network.
GLE’s scope includes:
- Initial FEED Study
- Creating IFC plot plan, P&IDs, Isometrics, 3D model, pile layout, electrical, grading drawings, and structural drawings for this site
- Working with our client to create material specifications for hydrogen pipe/valves/fittings
- Recommending a company to facilitate the HAZOP and participating in the HAZOP
- General technical assistance with initial planning, process design, and during construction
- Procuring the 1MW electrolyzer, hydrogen vent stack, valves, instrumentation, and hydrogen storage vessel